Sunday, September 11, 2011

Blog Post #1: Introduction - You crazy kids...get off my blog!

What should I say about myself, the writer? I am not sure there is anything about me that would be of particular interest to a web full of strangers...

My name is Rob Meisner. First and foremost, I hate computers. I can't believe this internets thing actually caught on. I am something of a throwback, an e-curmudgeon. I like small, rectangular objects called books. Not e-readers or kindles or nooks...just plain old Gutenberg glue and paper. I don't care about smart phones, smart bombs or smart water. Just because something is more "advanced" doesn't make it more convenient - or better at all - for that matter. I like hiking in the woods, dark beer and sappy movies. I used to want to be an artist or a scientist, but I dropped out of school instead to hold down the family business.

Before I knew it, 10 years had passed and I had accidentally become a writer (of sorts.) Now I am back at school for the first time in years.

A few weeks ago my mother died and it has completely derailed my momentum. I had hoped to have a kick-ass-take-names sort of semester, but I have trouble summoning much creative energy lately. I worked with my mother for 11 years. We were a duo that put out a small, weekly newspaper in Yorktown. I made the work my whole life, and now it seems like that life is over.

I am now a creative writing major. Though I have all but completely given up any designs on a writing career of my own, I hope to be able to teach others how to avoid some of the pitfalls that I was not astute enough to avoid. I hope to become a teacher or information officer.

My writing has suffered tremendously in the past two years. I scarcely recognize my own voice on the page. I hope that if any of you have a talent or passion that you will not let the tedium and trials of life prevent you from its pursuit.

I have made this blog, and I am taking this class, in the hopes that I can search out my voice, re-work my rhetorical muscles and learn more about how to use this language. Off campus I am still plugging away at the small town news. I am not quite ready to give it up, even though staying with it has been difficult. I have little time for recreation, though I am fond of reading and playing games when I get the time. I collect old Sci Fi paperbacks from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s. I love camping and cooking too.

All-in-all I am pretty boring. Though I do hope to have fun in the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment